• question-icon

Can Lyme disease be contracted through a tick bite?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello Dr. Rynne, my wife was recently bit (about 5 days ago) by a tick on the base of her head. I pulled it out and did not see any blood or that the tick was full of blood. I believe I got the entire tick out. We went to the ER and the doctor confirmed that he did not see any "tick residue" in her skin. Her regular doctor prescribed 200 mg (I believe) of doxycycline (2 tablets) the next day. Since then, my wife has not been feeling good, a lot of anxiety, experienced high bp and breathing problem 2 nights ago. She is also complaining about ear sensitivity and headache on the same same of her head, does not experiencing issues with not eating. She also has a swollen lymph node in back of her neck; the same side where she got the tick bite. Her doctor order blood work for thyroid and it came back ok..They did not perform any other testing on her blood (eg; to check lyme disease). What course of action would you recommend here..
Thank you, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
suspected Lyme disease

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HCM

I do understand your concerns

With such presentations in my clinic, I would first rule out Lyme disease by doing a physical examination only on the rash on tick biting site where you may find [bull's-eye]rash. Treatment for it is Doxycycline for 21 days only which your doctor has already prescribed for her.if she has body pain with fever then talk with your doctor to add a course of paracetamol only.

You can do few preventive steps for future like this -:

1)When walking in wooded or grassy areas wear long pants and long sleeves
2)Apply an insect repellent with a 20 % of [DEET] to skin if you have no allergy to it.
3)Clear brush and leaves where ticks live
4)Always check your pet dogs for Ticks
5)Always remember that if you have this disease in the past so if you are bitten by ticks once then there is a chance of the disease as well.

So nothing to be worried at all and prognosis is good

Hope that helps

Please let me know if you have further questions before meeting your primary care Doctor.

Thanks and wish her a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo