question-icon

Can Luvox and Tramadol be taken together?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: I am taking Luvox and my doctor prescribed tramadol for s back injury. Is this safe? I have read about seizures with this combination. Luvox at 150 msg a day and tramadol 100 mg twice a day
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Potential for dangerous interaction

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
There is potential dangerous adverse reaction between Luvox and Tramadol. Both can increase serotonin levels and therefore careful monitoring is necessary. It would be better to use a NSAID for the pain and inflammation of the back injury.

Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah (12 minutes later)
My doctor said not to worry about it. Your answer is the basic internet answer. I was looking for another professional opinion on the chances of this happening.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Serious interaction rare.

Detailed Answer:
Doctors often check for potential interactions between medicines before they are prescribed. There's is potential for dangerous interaction and you asked for opinion. It's my duty to help you avoid an adverse reaction however small the chance may be. There are no studies on the incidence of such reactions. I have treated a few patients with less serious adverse reactions like abdominal pain , nausea , fever and confusion. Why not use a NSAID I suggested.
It's better to err on the side of caution than regret later.

Dr. Noble Zachariah