Can Lovenox/Enoxaparin sodium lead to kidney stones?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Can Lovenox/Enoxaparin Sodium lead to kidney stones?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
your query has been answered..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX, welcome back to HCM,

Sorry for the delay in response,

Let me inform you that, till date there's no direct evidence that Enoxaparin can cause kidney stones, however according to ongoing researches and studies, it's shown that there's a very low risk (only 0.67%) of Enoxaparin, indirectly influencing the development of kidney stones..

I can understand that your concerned about the sodium content in it, but not to worry as its used as just a medium for the drug, thus the concentration is extremely negligible in that for causing any kidney stones..

Moreover, Enoxaparin is a low molecular weight heparin which is primarily excreted via kidneys, so in a patient with acute/chronic renal failure, it's doses are titrated by the physicians/nephrologists as per the patient's Renal function test, creatinine clearance, over all body metabolism, associated symptoms and co-morbidities and several other variable factors..

With all those being said, it should also be ideally avoided in a chronic renal failure patient, and Exclusively Renal Safe Low Molecular Weight Heparin (Inj. DALTEPARIN) or conventional unfractionated heparin should be used..

I hope your doubt's cleared now..feel free to discuss further..

Let me know if there's any further queries, I'll be glad to clarify..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee