• question-icon

Can Levofloxacin cause chills and shivering?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My Mom is 94 years old and the doctor prescribed Levofloxacin tab 500 mg for a UTI. She took the first one about 3 hours ago. An hour after that she ate and became nauseous. Now she is trembling and is very cold.
Are these common and will they continue to occur. Should she quit taking them until Monday when we can call the doctor for a different medication. Her blood pressure is 174/90 but that is not too unusual for this time of day.
My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe only!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this trembling and cold feeling after taking levofloxacine. This is rather a rare observation among patients on levofloxacin. The good news is that this often stops after the first few doses. I will therefore recommend that you observe only for now. Should this happen after the second dose, then we would strongly consider substituting this medication

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if there are some more unanswered worries. Kindly report how she feels after her next dose.
Dr. Ivo Ditah