Can I take inderal, low dose aspirin and pravastatin with milk thistle?

Posted on Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am taking milk thistle(silymarin) for liver support. I also take inderal , low dose aspirin and pravastatin. Do I need to separate these drugs from the milk thistle? Will the milk thistle inactivate or interact with these drug?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The major effect is seen when used with pravastatin

Detailed Answer:

It is good that you are taking milk thistle for liver support. I would add that silymarin can interfere in the process of breaking down certain medications, thus, resulting in increasing their effects and side effects.

You are taking pravastatin; theoretically, silymarin interacts with all statins (including pravastatin) as explained above although considered as minor effect.

However, you should not be worried about this, but, you can talk to your doctor to adjust the dose of pravastatin (lower) until you won't need it anymore. Please understand that milk thistle itself plays the role of statins when used for long time.

With regard to inderal (propanolol) and aspirin, no similar effect is seen.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Albana Sejdini