• question-icon

Can HIV virus survive outside the human body?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: is this an hiv item or risk honestly

apparently i was picking up towels from the bin I don't know how longs its been in there but to my knowledge never bleed to may knowledge is this a needle?? iim freaking out by my looks looks like a candle?? Not sure

Could this really be a freaking needle i was doing my job maybe it got e maybe it didn't or i knows no bleeding shouldd i take test where do you usually find these item?

should i go to my physical haven't told folks yet trying to stay calm and relaxed

to my own doctor it may have got me the tip part but never bled that i know
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your query and understand the concern you are worried about.

The risk of getting HIV from the incidence you had described is very unlikely as it is very difficult for HIV virus to survive outside the human body in an open environment where it will die within seconds.

The best way to confirm whether you are infected or not is to get tested so be relaxed and go for the test. It will clear all your doubts and provide mental satisfaction. Don't get worried or anxious about it.

Hope this info will help you. For any further query get back to me again any time and I will be happy to help you. Wishing you happy and healthy life.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 hours later
is it a needle??

if you were me would you get tested?? honestly this is not a blood product is it? or needle right
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not needle so don't get worried.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

If I would be at your place then honestly speaking I will not go for the test as the risk is very unlikely in your case but still it is better to get tested than having too much anxiety or stress because negative result will clear all your doubts and give mental relief.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 10 hours later
but you see the tip though not the white item but the other thing you said its not a needle correct So I'm safe

as long its not a needle I'm cool
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you are safe for sure.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back once again.

You are absolutely safe even though it was needle because HIV virus can not survive outside the body or in dried blood and I will die within seconds only so just calm down and forget about HIV.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 hours later
You are absolutely safe even though it was needle because HIV virus can not survive outside the body or in dried blood and I will die within seconds only so just calm down and forget about HIV. IT was???? thats what you are stating!!

Thank You

Are you referring to the other photo though now I'm freaking you said it was needle not the white piece the other photo

12886
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have not stated that it was needle.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I have not stated that the thing in the photo was needle, it was obviously one white piece. I was trying to explain that even though it was needle then also you are not at risk because HIV virus can not survive outside the human body so be relaxed.

This kind of exposure is very common among healthcare providers and those who are handling the infectious material and they remain HIV free so forget about the incidence as there is no risk in your case.
Don't get feared or anxious about HIV.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 11 hours later
how about the tip you see it theres two photos of it
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I have seen the photos of the tip and from that only there is no risk unless and until fresh blood comes in contact with any cut or abrasion on your hand so don't get worried or scared and move on in life.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 27 hours later
so your saying the tip not a needle

it was in bin i don't know how long it was in the towel bin for??? thats all
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are safe.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

It was not needle tip definitely and you don't know since how long it was there in the dust bin then no need to worry at all because HIV can not survive for more than few seconds outside the body.

Thank You
Appreciate it listen all of a sudden my armpits are stinging me like crazy I look photos of them not red but like white and dry after I showered last night the stinging appeared all of a sudden i feel the sting sensation throughout the body from the armpits like to my legs and extremities am i worried? its not hiv related right? like I said the stinging came out of no where

like the stinging came from the armpits it it started from the armpits then it traveled through out the system All of a sudden what should i do if this stated a few days ago than i would whats irrupting it but this was all of a sudden weird
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

The stinging sensation in the armpits is not related to HIV. It may be due muscle strain or some thing else. Take pain killer with muscle relaxants and it will be fine soon so be relaxed and move ahead.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist