• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through unprotected sex?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: it's been over 2 months when I had unprotected vaginal sex. I did antibody test after 3 weeks and PCR test after 5 weeks and combi test after 7 weeks. all result came HIV negetive which is encouraging for me.
now the worrying part is post 1 week after that exposure, I have some persistent body issues like bitter tongue with white coating and low fever of 99-99.5 and rotating pain in skull and burning and dry eyes. rarely, an uncomfortable right testicle. these are enough to keep me scared.
now I have few questions
1)as i have completed 7 weeks with negetive result, is there any chance of getting it positive after 12 weeks. have you heard or experienced such cases, as I believe today's testing methods are very reliable and accurate
2) if these symptoms are related to HIV, then wouldn't it be got detected in all these tests. how long is it possible to have symptoms but not getting detected. also how long these symptoms will last if they were connected
3) should I go for repeat tests
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of HIV transmission is nil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. Welcome to health care magic.
I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.

The chances of transmission of HIV by a single unprotected intercourse with a HIV positive person is 1/200 to 1/1000.It is low.She may be negative too.
HIV PCR test is very sensitive test 10 days post exposure. It is negative.
Combo test after 1 month is also very sensitive test.
With both the tests being negative the chances of HIV tests coming positive later is nil.
If it were due to HIV these tests would have come positive.

The symptoms are non specific and do not suggest HIV.It may be due to anxiety or stress .
If it persists you can consult a physician for examination and evaluation.

I do not see any need for further HIV tests. You can go for HIV Antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to relieve your anxiety.

You can get back for any clarification with details.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venereolgist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 3 hours later
thanks sir. .so can I be completely relaxed and move on with my life. I will also consult GP regarding my symptoms
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult your physician for symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

Yes you can move on in life.Consult your physician for symptoms.
You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist