Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
To be answered by dr XXXXXXX Dear dr , i am a 27 yr old male i had a sexual encounter with another male friend 4 days back . The day before the encounter he got an hiv conbo test done and was non reactive . On the day of the encounter we kissed and he rimmed (put his tongue in my anus). We also had oral sex with a condom but i think the condom tore when i was sucking his penis so we stopped . I ak not sure if it tore . He also tried to have anal sex with me with a condom but he didnt penetrate as i didnt like it . He tried to penetrate for about 5 sexonds n then we stopped. I am scared that if he is in window period and positive . I am very worried tho he sent me his reports . Am i safe ? Please help . Thanks
Thu, 10 May 2018 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your HIV risk remains negligible only.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again to HCM
There is every chance for your sex partner remain in window period in spite his nonreactive COMBO HIV test a day before encounter, at the same time the possibility is there for him to be HIV free.
Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV. Protected oral sex reduces the risk to negligible extent by using a condom (whether torn or not did not change much). Other activities like kissing, rimming are having negligible risk as per CDC XXXXXXX USA. (https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/estimates/riskbehaviors.html)
Trying anal penetration without penetration with condom in place also had almost'nil' risk. So there is nothing to worry much. In future, avoid such activities as your impulse will lead to more riskier activities.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex? 50 minutes later
Thanks dr .... he wore condom rfore trying anal sex ....i felt his penis touch my sphincter for few srconds ....however there wasnt proper penetration snd we stopped after few srconds only as it was painful . Have decided never to do suxh things again . An i safe ? I have been very wirried. Wat is window period for hiv convo tes ? Thanks dr

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Window period for HIV Combo test is not more than 12 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Even if he pressed against your anus with condom your risk is almost nil. Not to worry. HIV 4th generation Combo test has two parts. Antigen part of this test becomes conclusive by 3-4 weeks after the risky contact and rules out HIV 1 infection while the antibody part of the test will become conclusive by 12 weeks after the exposure and rules out both HIV 1&2 conclusively.
Dr S Murugan

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex? 4 hours later
Thanks again dr... im also worried about the oral sex he says he wasnt sure and condom kight have torn while i sucked his penis .. what if his precum came in contact with my gums or mouh or mucous membrame . There was no ejaculation. What is the risk then ? Have u seem any such case where hiv has spread ? Have u serm XXXXXXX patient get hiv from whatever i have described amd done ? Am i safe ? Or need to worry ? Thanks

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your HIV risk is negligible only

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Already I had marked that oral sex has low risk. Human saliva is not infectious unless it is mixed with blood. Precum touched his gum has a risk to the recipient and not for you, if you have any infection.
You can forget this incident. You are unlikely to have HIV infection.
Dr S Murugan

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex? 21 minutes later
Dear dr i sucked his penis as well asmentioned and his pre cum may have touxhed my gum im mot sure if condom tore during oral sex. Regarding the anal sex he wore condom and tried puttinh his penis in my rectum but wasnt able to penetrate mich as i was uncomfortable so we stopped after 10 seconds . Whay is the risk here ? What if his precum touched my gums or mouth during oral ? Have u seen any case of oral where condom was used and perosn got infection? Im worroed it may have torn during oral.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV transmission

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
If he has infection and if you had some problem with your gums then your risk would increase from negligible to low risk.
There is no alteration with your risk with the activity of tried anal sex.
I had one or two cases of acquired HIV infection through oral in my career of 28 years of HIV practice.

Dr S Murugan

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex? 15 days later
Hi dr ... i didnhiv combo test on 18th day after exposure , it was non reactive . Two days nefore the test i had low fever about 99 coming and going on its own . You said my risk was low? What is accuracy of test on 18th day after exposure ? It wascombo test . Thanks

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV Combo test will become conclusive 3-4 weeks after the exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Fever is a common problem. Anybody can get at any point of time.Not necessarily be due to HIV.
HIV Combo test has two parts. Antigen detecting part and antibody detecting part. Antibody detecting part will be able to detect the infection only after the window period (6-8 weeks or more up to 12 weeks after the exposure) only after the appearance of antibodies against the infection inside the body.

Antigen part of the test can detect HIV 1 infection (not HIV 2) as early as 7 days after the infection,but can be considered more conclusive only by 3-4 weeks.HIV 1 is the commonest form of HIV infection and the antibody part can either detect or rule out both HIV 1 and 2 infection. I can not give any importance to your nonreactive test 18 days after the risky contact.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex? 15 hours later
Thanks dr but consodering u said my risk is low and this test is negatuve ...do u expect it to remain negative when i test on 28 days ? Or it may change ?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your Future HIV test will likely be to remain nonreactive only.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
As you did not have any anal penetration, your future HIV test will be quite unlikely to get changed.
Not to worry.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex? 6 minutes later
There was attempt to anal penetratiom but with a condom it was just touxhing my sphincter muscle for about 5 to 10 sexonds . So i can go ahead and expect non reactive result ? I havent had any other exposures.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Protected anal sex attempt has no risk if the condom was intact.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
You had already mentioned about this type of attempt. As it was done with condom in situ, it has no risk. So you can expect a nonreactive HIV report in the subsequent HIV test also.