Can Gabapentin and Norco be treated with shingles?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I’m taking gabapentin for shingles. I still have a lot of pain. Can I take another pain med with the gabapentin? I have a new prescription for Norco. Can I use that with the Norco? I can’t reach my doctor on the weekend.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Not the best choice of about five.

Detailed Answer:

The field of neuropathic pain was created basically for your situation.

There is certainly a role for antivirals in the very beginning of the interruption. But, on the pain issues, ANY NERVE PILL IS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE.

You've tried one. The safest, but not the best. Amitryptiline and/or lidocaine patch are better.

Narcotics are quite weak on nerve pain and require sky high amounts to do a good job. Their risk at that point outways their benefits.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Matt Wachsman, Addiction Medicine Specialist