Can Flonase be used after spinal fusion surgery?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Can I use Flonase if I have just had a recent fusion of the spine?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
very little systemic absorption into the body

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, it can be used because only a very small amount is absorbed.

Flonase is considered one of the second generation of nasal steroids. This means that it is one of the second types of nasal steroids that was developed.

This second generation, according to a medical article published in jiaci.org/issues in 2012 , have a systemic bioavailability of less than 1%. The systemic bioavailability normally refers to the total amount that is absorbed through the nose and intestines.

This means that less than 1% of the medication is absorbed into the body.

Since there is little absorption, it should have little effect on you systemically meaning it should not affect your spine

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions