Can Duphaston be taken for irregular periods?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Dear dr. I was taking primalute for 21 days , because of breathing problem and blood pressure I asked my dr to change the tablets,she prescribed duphaston 10 mg,and asked me to start from 16 the day from the first day of my periods .what is this dydrogesterone tablets and what are the main side effects,is this tablets is used for irregular periods . If you want more details you can check previous files that is with you
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Duphastone used for regulating periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, thanks for trusting me to answer your queries.Duphastone is dydrogesterone which is a progesterone hormonal preparation. It is given to regulate the periods, by having effects on the endometrium, and converting it from proliferative to secretory type.
The main side effects of this tablet are nausea, bloating, breast pain, dizziness, weight gain, rarely skin rash and itching.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma