Can Crestor cause rashes on the body or hair loss?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: Has Crestor, in your experience ever caused rashes on face or hair loss?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The rashes look like psoriasis.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and the attached reports. Crestor does not usually cause such skin rash. The characteristics of the rash including the shiny appearance and scaling are typical for psoriasis. I believe that your doctor must have taken a biopsy from the rash to confirm the diagnosis. Please be advised to continue Taltz injections as scheduled.

Hope this answers your question.

Please address further questions here.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
The pictures that I sent you were during a flare up. It was very painful. I’m originally from Canada and winter in Florida. I phoned my Dr in Canada and his nurse said to double up on Benadryl and use 1% hydrocortisone cream. Which to my XXXXXXX worked almost immediately. Kept doing this for a couple of weeks and it cleared up and looked better than it has in a long time. After being off of the cream and Benadryl for a couple of weeks my face started getting sore again. So I started back on just the Benadryl and again my face healed up. I am still and will continue with the Taltz which I have been on for 9 months but has not seem to make a difference. I also have been using sun XXXXXXX lotion along with wearing a mask when I’m in the sun.

My questions are : Can an antihistamine have this effect on psoriasis? And is it okay to take it till I go home and see my Dr around May 10th? Have you ever seen something like this?

Thank you for your speedy previous response.

Confused XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Antihistamines relieve itching associated with psoriasis but usually does not clear up psoriasis rash. The hydrocortisone cream you applied can clear up the rash.

If antihistamines are dramatically helping you, then another important consideration is contact dermatitis (whose rash can look similar to psoriasis, but usually without scaling). Contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction to triggering factors coming in contact with skin. It can be anything like lotion or other products use.

Biopsy of skin rash can differentiate between the two rashes. You can safely continue using antihistamine until you go home. Please avoid using Hydrocortisone ointment persistently. Once the rash clears up stop hydrocortisone 1% ointment.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 15 hours later
Thank you

Will Contact Dermatitis contribute to the hair loss?
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer...

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Contact dermatitis can result in a condition called telogen effluvium, where inflammation of scalp leads to hair loss. The condition is reversible and the hair will regrow once inflammation is controlled.

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad