Can Coscopin cause lethargy and poor appetite in a child?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: our daughter is 10months old. she has cough and cold since a week. our doctor prescribed coscopin 2ml thrice a day. is it ok to give? we gave for 2days and she is not eating much.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns. Coscopin has antihistamines which can lead to lethargy and poor appetite in this age group. So, we usually avoid it for mild coughs and colds in infants.

So, I would recommend you to stop the drug at present. Use just saline nasal drops for blocked nose if present. Most cold episodes are viral in origin and subside without any treatment over a period of 2-3 weeks.

You may give Maxtra or T minic drops in case coughs and cold is really bothering your baby. Also, a throat swab and chest X Ray will be useful if she has high grade fever spikes along with cough/cold. You may upload the reports for my review.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad