Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Can Cervical disc cause numbness and tingling in fingers and thumb and dizziness?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1041 Questions
what cervical disc if it was ruptured into the spinal cord would cause numbness and tingling in the fingers and thumb, numbness only on I/2 of the upper and lower lips numbness on the side of the face only on the left side a sever headache and dizziness in all positions un relieved by 3 enteric coated asparin
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do not depent upon asprin only. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your problem. Cervical disc C5-6-7 may cause numbness and tingling in fingers and thumb and dizziness. But numbness in lips occurs due to 5th cranial nerve, 3rd distribution or may be higher up at brain-stem on right or in brain in left sensory strip. You should not depend upon aspirin tablets. But you should take 1 tab. aceclofenac 4mg+thiocolchicoside 100mg three times a day, lornoxicam after discussing it with your doctor. You may also apply painkiller ointment three times a day. As you have not mentioned any history of peptic ulcer, renal disease, asthma I am assuming it be normal. You should also get your x-ray cervical spine in AP and Lateral view done and discus it with your doctor. Your doctor may do your physical examination and then advise you some static cervical spine exercises which are also uploaded on you tube. He may also advise you cervical collar with chin support. You already have rods and screws in C4-5-6 so you should not lift heavy weight above shoulder level. Apply hot packs for 30 mins in morning, evening and night. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer 5 points for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Let me know if you have any concerns. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor