• question-icon

Can ARS symptoms persistent after 12 weeks of exposure?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello Doctor,

Is it possible to get ARS symtoms during 12th week after possible exposure.

Also how long ARS symtoms will be there.

Please advise

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ARS symptoms develop after 2 weeks of infection.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

Acute Retro-viral Syndrome develop after 2 weeks of infection and it will typically present as common flu symptoms like fever, sore throat, swollen gland, skin rashes, joint pain. These symptoms will last for few weeks then it progress to clinical latency stage. I need some more information on exposure to clear things further so get back to me again.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 hours later
Doctor

I had protected sex 3months back. But still confused about the condom reliability. Sure it didnt sliped, but not sure whether it got teared or not. (Can you please say me how will be the teared condom looks like during intercourse).

After 3 weeks of this incident a new kind of rash formed in my body. Which are tiny red bumps of size 1-3mm with itching sensation (not always). These bumps in its own disappear in 2-3days. At a time I can see maximum 6-8bumps totally on my body. It mostly appearing in hands, hip and lugs.

Still now it is continuing. No fever.

Now from last one and half weeks i am having burning sensation around my lips and slight sore throat.

This bumps and burning sensation are first having time in my life.

Please advise my risk and reason for this symtoms.

I am living in Qatar. Here get test is not easy as well as if i am positive then i will gey terminate from this country. I am damn worried doctor. Please advise.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

You had protected sex then the chances of getting HIV are not there. If the condom was broken, then also the risk is very unlikely because the exposure was single and for short duration of time so don't get worried.

The skin rashes on hands and legs along with burning sensation around lips may be due to some allergy or other reason. Consult your physician or dermatologist to isolate the cause and follow the treatment regime.

The best way to confirm whether you are infected or not is to get tested so I will advice you to go for HIV testing after 3 months because already 11 weeks have passed after the exposure to get 100% reliable and conclusive result.

Don't get scared or feared about HIV as the risk is very remote or practically nil in your case. Hope this info will help you. For any further query you can get back to me any time. Be relaxed and move ahead in life.

Thank You

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist