Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Calculus present in ureter, moderate amount of hydronephrosis, moderate dilation. What does this mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
I have an 8mm calculus present within the mid to lower right ureter just anterior to the right sacro iliac joint. There is a moderate amount of hydronephrosis and moderate dilatation of the right anterior. What does this mean and what should I do
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your history suggests:

You have a stone in your right ureter which pushes the urine from kidneys to urinary bladder (This tube for practical purposes is divided into 3 parts, upper, middle and lower). You have got stone in the mid to lower part.

This tube is about 5 mm in diameter and when there is obstruction due to this kind of stone it blocks urine into it.This is meant by Hydronephrosis.This leads to dilatation of the ureter above the stone level.

Please visit an Urologist for this, as you might need some more tests like X-ray of chest, IVP ( Intravenous pyelography, that is taking X-rays after injecting XXXXXXX in blood to know the function of kidney and stone) etc.

There are chances that it might pass and come out on its own as it is in lower part, still you must not ignore this, as at times long obstruction can lead to damage to the kidney.

Please visit an Urologist and discuss with him the treatment options that you have.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept my answer.


Dr. Pragnesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor