CAT scan showed swollen lymph nodes in neck. Family history of cancer. Worrisome

Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Lymphoma
Question: I am 40. I have had my lower,left side of my neck enlarged,swollen for 2 years. Had a cat scan and the diagnosis was swollen lymph nodes. Past month I had a lump behind my left ear. I have had people ask me why my neck near my shoulder is swollen. Both my parents have had cancer, and most of my uncles have died of cancer,an aunt, and grandmother. I dont smoke, and would like to know that I am ok.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for sharing your problem with me here.

The fear of cancer in a person with family history of cancer is common and should be taken as a serious issue. As you have been already diagnosed with swollen lymph nodes, it may be necessary to do a simple needle aspiration test (FNAC) which can be done as an out patient procedure, which would tell us if these lymph nodes are cancerous or not. If FNAC of the nodes does not show any cancerous activity, then you will not need to worry.

So I suggest that you see a physician to do the FNAC test.

Please revert to me if you have further doubts

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan