Bunion surgery done. Having sudden needle type pricking sensation below navel. Related?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have been having sudden needle type pricking sensation about 2 in below navel for several,days occurring more frequently but lasting seconds There is no tenderness at sight and no other symptoms but its occurring more and more. I had a bunion operation two weeks go which has gone really well. Could these be related and if not what can it be. I keep looking to see if something is sticking into me because that's exactly how it feels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I can tell you that your bunion surgery has anything to do
with your symptoms.The location of the sensation of pricking
seems to be the skin of the abdominal wall.The XXXXXXX organ
in the area of the navel is pancreas.Inflammation of that organ
gives severe symptoms, like abdominal pain,nausea,vomiting,
fever and chills.Most often requires hospitalization.
Take a very close look at that area of the skin and see if yiou
see any redness or rash.Look for small blister like plmples.
If you have these, it could be "Shingles". Burning sensation
preceeds skin rash.
It could just be an irritated nerve ending.You can try applying
ice over that area.
Does not appear very serious.
Wish you well and happy holidays.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
The needle like pains seem to be now appearing all around that area, not just one place. The last time I had this I remember it was after a tummy tuck and it turned out to be an infection which I ended up back in hospital with and was pretty ill as the antibiotic they used was not the right one to start with. I wonder if somehow this could be something like that
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 13 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
It depends upon how recently was your surgery.
Usually, within about two weeks after surgery.
Wish you well.