Bump on calf,lump on forearm,lump on left bicep

Dr. Deepak Anvekar

Posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 in General Health
Question: Noticed a bump in calf two weeks ago, rubbed it - itwent away - tonight lump in left forearm ,went away after 30 miinutes - then small lump in left bicep - went away after 15 minutes
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 41 minutes later

It seems that both the swelling described could be due to Urticaria or Angioedema.

Urticaria or Hives are raised, often itchy, red welts on the surface of the skin. They are usually an allergic reaction to food or medicine. When exposed to an allergen, your body releases histamine and other chemicals into your bloodstream. This causes itching, swelling, and other symptoms. Hives are a common reaction, especially in people with other allergy related issues.

When swelling or welts occur around the face (especially the lips and eyes), hands feet and throat , it is called angioedema.

Many substances can trigger such Urticarial swellings including -
Animal dander, Insect bites, Medications, Pollen, Shellfish, fish, nuts, eggs, milk, and other foods

Hives may also develop as a result of: Emotional stress, Extreme cold or sun exposure, Excessive perspiration, Illnesses and viral infections.

Usually most of these lesions subside on their own and treatment is not needed.

To reduce itching and swelling, follow the few tips given:-
1. Avoid hot baths or showers.
2. Avoid irritating the area with tight-fitting clothing.
3. Take antihistamines. Diphenhydramine is considered most effective, Other options include loratidine or ceterizine.
4. Application of cold packs might help them go away sooner.

Hives may be uncomfortable, but they generally are harmless and disappear on their own. In most cases, the exact cause of hives cannot be identified.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to consult me if you have additional doubts.

Regards.

Dr Anvekar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
No - it's not hives or a rash - more like a clot under the skin that went from my forearm to the bicep in the same arm - slight pain in the location of the bump.
Could it be a blood clot....
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 25 minutes later
Hello ,

Thanks for the Follow up,

Usually presence of clots in the veins present with edema, redness and pain of the superficial veins, diffuse swelling and throbbing pain in the area . This is called as Thrombophlebitis.

They do not present in the form of swellings which subside by pressure or with time as you have mentioned.

For example a clot in the veins in the arm can cause diffuse swelling of the forearms and the hands. They will not cause just a small swelling in the forearm and then move into the biceps. In addition formation of clots do not occur in the small veins of the forearm.

In case of doubts, you might consult a doctor who can get a few blood tests ( including coagulation profile) as well as a doppler ultrasound to check for any issues regarding the veins.

To help you more, It will be very helpful if you can send me a picture of the swellings.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that would give a better idea for me.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after looking at the photo.

Awaiting your response.‎

Dr Anvekar.

Follow up: Dr. Deepak Anvekar 6 hours later
There are currently no lumps, so there is nothing to take a picture of at this time.
I would like to see what today brings - if I get a lump I can take a picture of a lump I will send it along
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 7 minutes later
Hello Dj ,

You can definitely consult me and keep me updated on on your status.

I am curious to know about what the bumps could be.

In addition, you might consult your primary physician when you see the bumps appearing so that specific tests and examination can be done to diagnose the problem first hand.

Dr Anvekar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E