• question-icon

Bump, bruise in hand, feels tight. What do the symptoms indicate?

Posted on Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a bump (presumed ganglion cyst) appear on the back of my hand 6 days ago. No trauma, except shaking hands in church. It began to bruise around the cyst and bruising has continued to spread out about 1 - 1.5" surrounding the bump. It is sore to touch and has felt 'tight' and somewhat painful with use of the hand. It is located just above the carpal bones, 'behind' the thumb. Any cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

From the symptoms it looks like ganglion cyst only. A ganglion cyst is a swelling that often appears on or around joints and tendons in the hand.Mostly they are asymptomatic but if they press on the underlying nerves then they can cause pain. There can be pain that gets worse with activity or pressure.

Hence it has to be removed by aspiration with or without an injection of cortisone medication. Occasionally, the entire ganglion is resected with surgery. For this you need to consult a surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later
I was wondering why the bruising and isn't this unusual? The bump itself is sensitive to touch, which I suppose can be attributed to touching the underlying nerves?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The bruising can be due to trauma to surrounding tissue or a hematoma formation close to the cyst. Apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac.

If the cyst regresses in size then there is nothing to worry. But if the symptoms persist then it may need aspiration.

Dr. Jasvinder Singh