What causes nodules on the wrist?

Posted on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: developed nodules on my Left wrist. (3) base of the 5th metacarpal, kinda big, 1 prox to the fibula and a small one in between. they don't hurt but burn sometimes when I am typing or driving. Developed in the last 2-3mos. Tonight I'm feeling the start of one on my R wrist at the base of the ulna. I'm a Physical Therapist, very active lifestyle, arthritis in my hands though.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you to upload an image of the nodules. Based on the details it could be ganglion. I would be able to comment further after checking the images.

I would await your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
I hope you have received the uploaded photo
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical opinion suggested

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the image. It could be a ganglion. Could you tell me the consistency on pressing the nodule? Is it firm to hard? If so, it is possibly a ganglion. The next thing to ask is whether it is XXXXXXX (side to side) if pressed. Unless it is attached to the bone, it is likely to be a ganglion.

A clinical examination by a surgeon should help. He would be able to evaluate whether surgery is needed.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 53 minutes later
The modules are firm but not hard. They do glide under the skin but feels like they might be attached to the tendon. Will they keep growing?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ganglion

Detailed Answer:
Your description conforms with ganglion. They are formed due to partial tear of muscle fibers. If the nodules are otherwise not painful please do not bother. If painful and uncomfortable, you would need to get them surgically excised. However, there is a likelihood of recurrence.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha