Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Bump after leg injury, minimal pain and bruising even after some weeks. Do I need to get an X-ray to diagnose this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10424 Questions
25 days ago while breaking firewood by stomping on it, a limb hit my lower right Tibia with pretty good force on the upper inside portion of my leg, about 2 inches below my knee. A large bump developed over the next 24 hours, but with minimal pain and bruising. I assumed that it was a simple hemotoma or contusion that should disappear in a couple of weeks. But still now, the bump persists and is the same size (roughly 3 cm round and 1cm high off the bone). I would classify the pain while touching (pushing) as mild to moderate, and I feel absolutely no pain while standing or walking. The bump feels fairly hard. Do I really need to go get an xray to diagnose this, or is there any danger in waiting another 2-3 weeks?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The small bump under your knee seems to be due to a hematoma or a fracture is highly unlikely as there is no pain during weight bearing.
You can wait for next 2-3 weeks for this lump to resolve on its own. Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation in the area for an early recovery.
Also you need to self monitor it for any increase in size, pain , fever, etc in which case you need to consult your orthopedician to rule out any local infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor