Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing these symptoms?
Thanks for your query.
1. All premature ventricular contractions (PVC) are not normal. Irrespective of the number of PVC present, these are considered abnormal.
2. However whether or not the PVC's are concerning and needs attention can be determined based on clinical symptoms, number of PVC and presence of associated illness.
3. Usually occasional premature ventricular contractions lasting for few second cause a skipped beat that goes unnoticed. They do not cause concerns.
4. Symptoms like short breath and dizziness are caused if the PVCS are frequent or other associated heart disease is present.
5. If there is no associated heart disease and the patient is asymptomatic, then treatment is not indicated.
6. If they are frequent and associated with symptoms, it needs to be evaluated. Electrolyte abnormalities (especially hypokalemia or hyperkalemia and hypomagnesemia), hyperthyroidism or occult heart disease should be excluded.
7. Medicines are given only if symptoms are present. Again medicine should be started after doing ECG and other tests like echocardiography to find out more about cardiac function. The most common class of medicine used is beta-blocker. It is safer than the other anti-arrhythmic drugs used.
Hope I addressed your concern. Let me know if I can help you further.
Dr Vaishalee Punj
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of dizziness
- What causes dizziness symptoms dizziness
- What causes dizziness symptoms light headedness
- Headaches tiredness dizziness nausea shivering causes for symptoms
- Dizziness imbalance nausea on waking up causes for symptoms
- Symptom getting dizzy when i bend over
- Dizzy and breathless symptoms
- Symptoms being dizzy when you bend over
- Causes of breathlessness symptoms
- Dizzy when shaking head symptom
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...