Suggest remedy for constipation post treatment for diarrhea

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Had diarrhea for 4 days. Now have it under control. Have been eating banana, toast, chicken, rice and apple sause. Things like that. Still have crapping and no stool after 2 days. What can I do to ease the crapping and how long is normal to have stool again.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mebeverine, isotonic fluids

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The antibiotics course, if started should be completed. Take plenty of isotonic fluid to avoid dehydration and further complications. Serum electrolytes should be checked to look for any hypokalemia.

Stool culture and routine exam with ova and parasites should be done. For the cramping mebeverine plus ispaghula husk combination can be advised for the spasmodic/ cramping associated with the diarrheal illness for a month.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 39 minutes later
Thanks for that. The other part of my question. What is the usual amount of time to have normal stool agian
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
hello again.

Its highly dependent on the individual. There is no fix duration or number. It depends upon the gut motility, innervation, fluid intake, overall health and food habits. However, generally three times a day to once every two to three days is the range.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks