Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Breast pain, cellulitis, breast abcess, oral contraceptive use, knots in breasts

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I have been having pain in my left breast and all through my left under arm and there is a knot by my left shoulder blade. I went to see my primary doctor last Wednesday and he did a chest X-ray because the pain originally started in my chest and under my left boob by my rib cage. the x-ray did not show anything except a huge gas bubble. He was concerned because he said, "I have never seen a gas bubble in a girl of your age (22) and your size (118) like that before." So, he ordered a CT scan and we are still waiting to hear back the results. He did a full panel of blood work and all the results came back perfectly normal. I am concerned because the pain is now more in my left breast and underarm and through the back now. It seems to have moved from the original pain in my chest and upper rib cage. I have gasterioritis and am always sick to my stomach but this doesn't feel like heart burn or anything stomach related. My left breast is sensitive to touch and i have a constant back pain in my upper back where the knot it. What could this be? Should i be concerned? My body has felt weak and tired like I'm sick but I don't necessarily "feel bad". What can I do to ease the pain? Do I need to go see my ob-gyn?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 5 hours later

The causes for sensitivity in your breast could be the following:-

1. Cellulitis - inflammation of the overlying skin of the breast.
2. Breast Abscess - Infection in the lower lobes of the breast.
2. Oral contraceptive use - Lo-ovral - Can cause sensitivity of the breast as well.

The Knot described could be due to a enlarged lymph node associated with the infection in the breast or a secondary abscess.

The best way forward is to undergo a few blood tests and a ultrasound to diagnose the underlying condition. You might consult your current doctor or your OB-GYN for the same. Treatment might include antibiotics and supportive medications for a few days.

In the mean time, NSAIDs like advil or motrin & Ice packs - might be helpful to resolve the pain and discomfort. Use of supporting inner wear might also help.

In case the cause is due to birth control pills, change of the medication to better ones might be helpful.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor