Bone-marrow transplant done. Shoulder muscles became atrophic. What should I do?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. I am a 20 year old man but have had deltoid atrophy since 2001. I had a successful bone-marrow transplant which went great. During the transplant my shoulder muscles became atrophic. I have been exercising, but it has not helped me. Please let me know if something medically could help my deltoids. Thanks a lot
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It is unfortunate that your shoulder muscles have been affected. The mainstay of such treatment is extensive physiotherapy under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist. This may include exercises in water to reduce the muscle workload, and other types of rehabilitation.
You can get the EMG done to detect the area of pathology. Methylcobalamin supplements can help to some extent in case of nerve related problem.
Anti inflammatory treatment like steroids can help if the atrophy is related to a nerve or muscle inflammation. You can consult a neurologist who after proper clinical examination will guide you through necessary investigations and treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.