Owl Image

Blood test showed high eosinophils count and all other counts normal. How to treat this?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
My CBC has shown Eiosinophils of 21 and the prognosis is that this is high. All other counts are normal.Please advise how to treat this, if at all. I do not suffer from any breathlessness even after a rigourous work out.
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Eosinophils are basically markers of any kind of allergies. Sometimes exposure to some known or unknown allergens can cause the eosinophils to shoot up.

Apart from this drugs can also cause eosinophils. In your none of the medications you have mentioned are known to cause eosinophilia.

Sometimes some worm infestations can also cause the eosinophils to raise. Most times intestinal worms may not cause any kind of symptoms, sometimes they can cause peri-anal itching etc. A Single dose of a de-worming drug like Albendezole can be helpful.

So to summarize in your cause we would do the following:

1. Take a tablet of Albendezole. A local doctor can prescribe you the same.
2. Keep a close watch for any allergic manifestations (excess itching, sneezing, running dose, reddening of skin etc)

We repeat your CBC and eosinophils after 2 months and see the response. Also ask your pathologist for an "Absolute eosinophil count" .

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Physician & Diabetologist
WWW.WWWW.WW (online expert diabetes care consultantion)