• question-icon

What is the treatment for high fever in a child?

My son is 3 years 2 months and is suffering from high fever now and taking parasitimol syrup ( Metacin) for the last 5 days, including today. He is also having abundant worms. Can I give him Noworm - Albendazole oral suspension today along with metacin for fever
Mon, 4 Nov 2019
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response

Fever of a few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day.

If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days.

So do not worry about duration if the kid is active. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F.

I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician, Pulmonology