Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Blood clot in leg, pulmonary embolism, swollen elbow, discoloration spreading, painful when touched

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
I had a blood clot 5 years ago that started in my leg and progressed to pulmonary embolism. I now have a swollen elbow with tenderness and purple/blue/red/yellow 5 inch discoloration that is spreading. It is somewhat painful when I touch it. I saw one Dr. at work (I am a dietician) who thought I have a blood clot, but when I went to the ER a young Dr said that he did not think I have a blood clot. No actual tests were done. What should I do? I almost died from the blood clot 5 years ago, and I want to make sure that I'm not having another clot.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

A swollen elbow with tenderness and the discoloration from red to purple is indicative of two things-
1.An injury to elbow causing a fracture at some bone in the elbow joint causing the haematoma. An X-ray of the joint followed by careful examination by an orthopaedician will help in diagnosis and treatment.
2. If you distinctly remember that there is no trauma involved then the bleeding might have occurred due to some bleeding disorder. Checking the bleeding and coagulation profile will help in reaching the diagnosis.
Till the proper diagnosis is made it is best to give rest to the joint, apply a crepe bandage and take mild analgesics like acetaminophen for pain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor