Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Been doing labor intensive work for years. Severe back pain started. MRI showed slight bulge. Is it serious?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 102 Questions
I am a 33 year old male who has been doing labor intensive work for more than 15 years. I just had a mri of the L spine last week, because the pain in my back has really increased. It showed a sligh bulge in the L4, arthritis in L4, L5, and S1. I dont know how serious this is, or if some of the pain is just in my head. I XXXXXXX with a well known spine doctor XXXXXXX 14th at Mercy Hospital Baltimore, md. I welcome any thoughts on what I should be doing. Thanks, Steve
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 10 hours later
thank you for sharing your problem with me.
Based on your history and MRI, you have degenerative lumbar disc disease which could produce back pain, which is quite common in the general population.
But the good news is that many people get good relief with medications and structured physiotherapy with some modifications in their present job.
Few patients do require surgery but, that would be last resort.
Back pain has a lot of psychological and emotional component as well, so some people get more pain after MRI and they get distressed based on the MRI result.
So, XXXXXXX don't worry too much, follow the medications and physio as per your spine surgeon's orders and wish you a speedy recovery
Dr Krishna Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor