Are tinnitus and dizziness withdrawal symptoms of anti-depressants?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi. I have been off all my anti-depressants since Sept 10, 2015 and I still feel dizzy and heavy when I'm standing. When I'm sitting I feel fine. My BP is 113/70 and my pulse is 68 BPM.

As a side-effect of the anti-depressants i have tinnitus which seems to be lessening over time since I stopped taking them.

What could be contributing to this heaviness and dizziness? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely these are mild symptoms of withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. Most of antidepressants work by causing change at receptor levels, so abrupt stopping of the drug or rapid dose reduction of doses result in withdrawal symptoms. These withdrawal symptoms occur in form of dizziness, restlessness, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, insomnia etc. These symptoms reduce with passage of time. You have been off medicines since 10th Sept, so most likely these symptoms are due to withdrawal only. In most cases symptoms decrease in about 4 weeks. Still to remain on safe side I'd advise you to get your blood pressure checked in lying down position and then immediately in standing position. If there occur significant difference (20 mm) in BP in lying and standing position then most likely these symptoms are occurring due to hypotension. Your BP and heart rate is fine and no need to worry. Wait for some time and your symptoms will decrease. Have plenty of fluids and diets rich in proteins and complex carbs and low in fats. This will reduce the symptoms.

Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj