question-icon

Are Swollen Lymph Nodes And Underarm Pimples Symptomatic Of Cancer?

Posted on Wed, 8 Nov 2017
Question: 3 months ago I got a itch rash under both arm pits with jelly like swollen lymp nodes under both arm pits but no pain in nodes.
The rash went away lymps still swollen. Had an ultra sound under both arms which did not revel anything.
Now I have two large pimples under one arm. Concerned about cancer.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
most probably Hidradenitis suppurativa

Detailed Answer:

To recapitulate: male/63 - itch rash under both armpits with jelly-like swollen lymph nodes - 3 months ago - ointment settled rash - lumps are still swollen - ultrasound normal - now two large pimples under one armpit - concerned about cancer....

The presentation that you have given is most probably of a condition called Hidradenitis suppurativa in which condition the hair follicles get blocked and inflamed, can have a secondary infection and cyst formation appearing as large pimples.

This can be diagnosed by the classical history and presentation.
Lumps and affected skin can be excised and sent for histopathological examination to see for or rule out cancer and is the only way for confirmation. You may please consult a General surgeon for the same.

I hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Please post clear and focused photographs if possible as this helps for on-the-spot diagnosis in some cases.

With Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon