Are sore throat, productive cough and right ear ache signs of ear infection?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm 31 years old and have a cold/cough that I've had for almost a week. Not congested much, have coughed up a tad bit of phlegm here and there. It started with a sore throat which is gone now. I caught it from my 6 month old. Well this morning when I woke up my right ear hurt. It feels plugged and crackles when I try to pop it. I don't want to have to go to the doctor, so I was wondering if it is an ear infection if over the counter ear drops that are homeopathic that say calms and soothes earaches due to cold, flu, swimmer's ear and allergies. would help it? Do I need to go to the doctor or will it go away on it's own?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Most often such symptoms are due to certain viral infections. You need to take steam inhalation. Water in form of vapor will reach deep inside and help in diluting the cough. There is a thin tube on either side connecting the inside of the throat to the middle ear cavity. Thus the cough leads to ear problems and ear infections as well. Diluting the cough should relieve the problem.

Take some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days. It should help.

Try the measures suggested and I think that it would be enough.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 minutes later
So should I avoid the ear drops then?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on whether oozing is present

Detailed Answer:
Unless you have oozing from your eats, ear drops are not required. If oozing is present, antibiotic drpos would be needed.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 41 minutes later
No oozing, just says they help with discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back, sorry for not being able to respond faster.

If no oozing is present, no need to use any ear drop. They would not help.