Are oral contraceptive pills safe to be taken to postpone period?

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi doctor,
I am 28 years old and have been ttc for the last year and a half. I had two early pregnancy losses in the last one year. My last pregnancy loss was in August which was my first cycle on Siphene. After the loss i was advised by my doctor to wait for 3 months to try anything else. My periods have always been regular usually averaging 28 to 31 days. My LMP was on 11th November 2016, unfortunately i am put in position to postpone my next periods due to some engagement i have to attend on the 9th December. I went to my gyn, she prescribed me to have Overal L for 21 days from tomorrow. After i got the medicine i saw it was Oral Contraceptive Pill, now i am hesitant to have the medicine, will this spoil my chances to try conceiving next month? I am worried it will affect my cycle and that i may have to wait for months for it to regularise. Please guide me and explain what happens. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
use Natural micronized progesterone. It will be safe, protective.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear XXXXX,
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1.First of all do not panic.

2.As you might be aware that in a woman with regular cycles, day 10 to 20 of the cycle is the most fertile period of the cycle. In your case, this period is between 20 to 30 November. As you are planning to get pregnant, you might get pregnancy in this fertile period.

3. So if you want to postpone the periods beyond 9th December it will be better to take micronized progesterone tablets from day 20 of the cycle , means from 30th November; till you want to postpone the periods. May be till 9th December.
Usually, it takes 3 to 7 days for withdrawal bleed to occur.

4. this will not have any adverse effect on your pregnancy chance in this month or even in subsequent cycles.
Also, it will not have effects even if you are pregnant in this cycle, as this type of progesterone is used to support the pregnancy.

I hope this answer was helpful to you!
Please kindly rate it as helpful and write a short review about your experience with me! I would appreciate that a lot.
Thank you and best regards!
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 3 hours later
What about Overal L? Is this medicine micronized progesterone? I was in between taking a medicine called Gestin, when i was prescribed Siphene. I was asked to take Gestin from Day 15, the doctor told me it is to support pregnancy if any. Is Gestin...micronized progesterone?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ovral L is birth control pills. Gestin is micronized progesterone.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

Ovral L , is a combination birth control pill.
It contains 2 hormones, estrogen and progesterone. It will be helpful to plan your next cycle and will also work as contraceptive pill.

Usually, it is advisable to start these pills, once at night, from day 2 of the cycle.

Tab Gestin can be micronized progesterone tablets. You can confirm that from the strip of the tablets.

You can take any micronized progesterone tablets, the trade names are different as per the pharma company.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN