Are neck spasms something that could be caused by Pravastatin usuage?

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I have had nightly muscle spasms in my neck upper back and shoulders that are severe over the past 5-6 weeks. I also have a herniated disc at c5-6 that occurred 10 months ago, treated with two steroid injections in May and August. There has been no obvious cause for the exacerbation of the symptoms as I have been relatively pain free for 5 months. I just had a third injection 2 weeks ago, in response to the nightly spasms but the spasms are not abating. It just occurred to me to check the Pravastatin side effects online to see if the neck spasms can be caused by it. I was started on this medication in October, about 4 months ago to control cholesterol. I am fit, exercising 57 y.o. female with HBP controlled by meds and cholesterol. Are the neck spasms something that could be caused by the Pravastatin? I will also check with my prescribing physician but thought I would ask you too.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult your doctor immidaitely. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. Although Pravastatin can cause, muscle stiffness, but still it cannot be said firmly in your case because you have mentioned history of herniated disc at c5-6 that occurred 10 months ago. No doubt you remained pain free for 5 months still the possibility of muscle spasm exists due to previously herniated discs. For your proper diagnosis to be made you need to get consultation of doctor, who will do your complete physical examination and advise you x-ray cervical spine AP and Lateral view. Then he will tally all the reports and act accordingly. Your doctor will also consider the pravastatin dose, as this drug may infrequently cause muscle problems (which can rarely lead to very serious conditions called rhabdomyolysis and autoimmune myopathy). You should avoid weight lifting above shoulder, avoid sitting in front of computer for prolong time. Apply hot packs for 30 mins in morning and evening. At-last I would like to say that you should consult your doctor as early as possible. I hope you have got your answer. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj