Are human growth and testosterone hormones safe to take?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I'm training for about 5 years now , I want to start to using human growth hormone and maybe testosterone(sustanone) , I want to know the safety of those hormones . also the dosage I should take to get the benefits and results for my future coming competitions , along with the blood work and analyses I should make .
I'm not looking to get big like pros , I want just to get some muscle and lose some fat like fitness models.
If one of these two are not safe , If there is any avaliable alternative that would be fine.
Another question , when it's safe to start taking steroids and human growth hormone generally .

Thank you !
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
For right indications only

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your concern. Both Testosterone and Human growth hormone are only strictly indicated for appropriate medical reasons only. they are indicated in people who are deficient in these hormones. If used in young adults for muscle building , there are numerous side effects.
The safest alternative is Protein intake in right quantity. Even anabolic steroids are not recommended. I have seen numerous young boys who have become impotent by using Testosterone and other anabolic steroids for muscle building. Human growth hormone can even cause certain cancers if used for inappropriate reasons. please refrain from using these.
regards XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 36 hours later

As I will participate in competitions , All the other competitors are using those substances. For that reason , I need to be in my top shape in order to compete for the trophy. So I'm willing to taking it but just with the right dosage for limiting side effects .Also , I met people taking human growth hormone for anti aging benefits prescribed , I think It won't too harmful in low doses.
If some blood tests are needed just inform me , So I will do them and get back with the results for you .

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
IGF-1

Detailed Answer:
welcome back. As I mentioned earlier, GH is indicated in adults only if there is adult growth hormone deficiency. The other indications are cancer and HIV cachexia and chronic renal failure . It is illegal for a doctor to prescribe GH for any other indications. You may do an IGF-1 test first. If the IGF-1 is low, that may indicate a GH deficiency and you may need GH stimulation tests. If the tests show suboptimal growth hormone production, then you may be justified taking it.