Are fatigue, back pain and knee joint pain symptoms of Lyme disease?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Infections
Question: I am being tested for Lyme Disease and the results won't be back until Monday. I thought I had the flu but the test results were negative. What are the symptons of Lyme Disease. Mine are fatigue, back aches and knee joint pain.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms of Lyme's disease listed.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing to us.

The symptoms of Lyme's disease include:

The early symptoms
+Rash (almost always occurs)
+Fever
+Muscle aches
+Fatigue
+a Headache

Later symptoms include:
+Joint pain
+Numbness, weakness of limbs, other neurological symptoms
+A migrating type of rash

Although it might seem like your symptoms do match a little, they could still simply be related to a simple viral infection, and so I would not worry too much about it, especially as you have not mentioned any rash as the part of your presentation.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 30 minutes later
The fever has gone away.
You are correct. No rash associated of any kind with Lyme Disease appeared on my body. Do you have an idea of what kind of a "simple viral infection" it might be?
Thank you for your detailed response. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not have enough information to predict the type of viral infection.

Detailed Answer:

I cannot really say which type of viral infection it is as most viral infections present in a similar manner and only the extra symptoms like a rash (type of rash), site of appearance of the rash, day of appearance of the rash, laboratory findings, etc; are what help to distinguish the specific type of viral infection. I have none of that information and so I cannot really tell you which type of infection it could be.

For now, you could wait for the laboratory to get back to you on the Lymes disease, and once it is ruled out just be patient as your symptoms shall gradually subside, usually without any treatment.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Shoaib Khan, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng