• question-icon

Are drooping eyelids, blurred vision and headache symptoms of myasthenia gravis?

Posted on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 in General Health
Question: hello doctor ,
I was talking to you about my father's myasthenia gravis issue, starting may 5 however, somereason that question shows closed but i would like to talk about it further with you.
giving you summary please tell me how to talk on this again :

repeating my question again :

am writing for my Father 72+ .
recently he has started having the drooping eyelid, blurred vision with little headache since last 3 wks. we got his MRI DONE . DR GAVE THE MEDICINE TO TAKE FOR 10 DAYS.these symptoms were better but again he start having it since last 2 days. it remains for hour then go away ! what can be the issue please
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please go on and write your questions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Okay, we talked before about your father's health issues related to vision issues, possible myasthenia gravis, Gravitor use and its possible adverse effects, and brain atrophy.

You can go on now and post the remainder of your issues you want to discuss about.

Awaiting......

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 58 minutes later
Thanks for reopening my question doctor.

so my father has started taking 60Mg GRAVITOR for last 2 weeks now.

1) he feels there is a big improvement as far as his eyelid drooping is a concern. however, sometimes the eye still drop but not that frequent.

2) however, sometimes his both eyes feels very heavy (not dropping) he gets heavy head
is that a matter of concern?

3) is the gravitor medicine will be a permanent part of his routine or can be stop at certain level. since the other side effects (sweating, feeling week, stomach cramps) bothers him.
can these effects be harmful if you keep on taking the medicine for long time?

4) my other question is about his report "brain Atrophy" : he has that ? or the reports just says that there are chances of having brain Trophy? what is the treatments

sincerely
thanks

Waiting please

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Atropine may minimize adverse effects of Gravitor.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and sorry for the delay because of work issues.

Since Gravitor is working properly in improving drooping, myasthenia gravis is a possible condition as the diagnosis.

Fluctuations in drooping and heaviness in eyes are probably related to medicine concentrations in blood.

Gravitor is a medicine that can be used long term, if adverse effects become bothersome atropine may be used before use of gravitor to minimize these effects.

Brain atrophy refers to loosing of brain tissue that may be related to several conditions such Alzheimer's, alcohol use, hypoxia, age-related, etc.
The degree depends on symptoms, besides imaging findings.

The best treatment is to find and correct the cause.

In most cases, there is no cure for this, treatment aims to slow the progression.

Hope I helped you.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 11 hours later
Thank you for your reply doctor
Can you please explain the medicine concentration in the blood ? U mean the gravitor medicine ?

Also one of the issues he is been feeling that sometimes he gets breathing issue is that a side effect of the medicine or a condition itself?

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

The concentration of drugs such Gravitor in blood undergoes slight changes, so, when there is lowering of concentration symptoms may reappear.

Myasthenia gravis causes muscles weakness including those involved in respiration, so, it is possible to be the condition itself that is causing such issues.

Hope I helped you so far.

In good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 2 days later
Thank you for your reply doctor !

Recently he is having constipation with stomach cramps! Can that be a part of the side effects?

What can we do to make him feel more comfortable?
He is taking 60 mg gravitor regularly
He is eating healthy
Trying not to go out in heat
Gave up the alcohol

But sometime he still feel heavy eyes now the constipation plus the stomach cramps :(

Sincerely

Waiting
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a common side effect of Gravitor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Gravitor usually doesn't cause constipation, its use may cause diarrhea instead, so, an evaluation by a Gastroentrologyst is necessary to understand better the cause of constipation accompanied by stomach cramps.

Foods rich in fibers, a lot of fluids and antiacid drugs such Omeprazole may help in relieving these symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical