question-icon

Are arm, shoulder and neck pain side effects of Amoxiclav?

Posted on Wed, 14 Jun 2017
Question: I started amox-clav Monday after cutting my thumb and have started having chest/ upper abdomen tightness and discomfort, more so while laying down. I don't have any other heart symptoms like arm, shoulder,neck pain. Does this sound like a side effect to Amox clav?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it doesn't

Detailed Answer:

although amoxiclav may cause abdominal pain, nausea and other similar symptoms, the symptoms you've described do not seem to be related to it. If they started right after you started treatment, a causal link cannot be excluded though.

The symptoms remind me more of heart disease and you should act immediately to exclude or confirm it. You should visit either the ER or a cardiologist for further investigation. Remember that you cannot attribute any side effect to drugs unless all other potential causes have been eliminated.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis