Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Applying xylocaine for fissure problem. Not cured. Suggest diet plan and permanent cure

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
Hello, my wife is suffering from fissure for the past 6th months. we visited our family doctor and she said that this is due to bad diet and recommended to apply xylocaine before going to stools and apply SUCRAL ointment after the stools. this reduced the problem, however every few weeks my wife suffers from the same problem. need your advice on the diet she should follow to permanetly solve this problem.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, anal fissure occurs due to constipation. In constipation, increased pressure is required for defecation. This increased pressure causes anal fissure formation.

So, before giving any medicine, we advise the patient about diet. Because, it is the most important part of treatment.

Your wife needs a high fiber diet. That means, she has to take XXXXXXX leafy vegetables in high amount every day. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables are the richest source of dietary fiber. Apart from that, 2 teaspoonful Isabgul powder taken with lukewarm water before the dinner is very much helpful. Avoid red meat, and other foods which can cause constipation.

Look, by any means, she has to prevent constipation. If she can do that effectively, only then the prescribed ointments can give her relief from anal fissure.

In future, if the condition deteriorates, then surgical intervention is necessary. In that case, you have to consult with a general surgeon.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor