Any other way to get mononucleosis other than kissing, saliva or drinking from a cup of a infected person?

Posted on Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Infections
Question: Is there any other way a person can get mononucleosis than kissing, saliva or drinking from a cup of a infected person?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Close contact with infected invidividual

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting,

The only predisposing risk factor for EBV infectious mononucleosis is close contact with an individual infected with EBV. Kissing, sex, drinking from a cup, eating from spoon, blood exchange etc.

Hope this answers your question.
Dr. Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
You mentioned infectious mono. Is there a such thing as a non-infectious mononucleosis.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
The best way to term is non-contageous mononucleosis. Meaning that you might have the symptoms of the diseases but you might not be able to infect others.
Mononucleosis usually isn't very serious. Most adults have been exposed to the Epstein-Barr virus and have built up antibodies. They're immune and won't get mononucleosis again. But in case of immunodepression such as HIV/AIDS it can become a fatal diseases given that it can affect 'noble organs' such as the brain.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah

Dr. Nsah Bernard