Am I protected by taking contraceptive pills at different timings?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I normally take lyza at 3pm yesterday I took it a little bit later, around five, today I'm taking the pill at 5:50 am I still protected?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would still be protected

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though it is usually advised to take the contraceptive around the same time to maximize protection, in general once it is taken within the 24 hour period , there is still protection

This means that the 2 hour difference the day before would not have any effect and because the pill was then used within a 24 hour period the next day in the am, there is no problem

Once the pill has been used for at least 7 days consecutively, it is thought that the hormone level would be high enough to offer protection.

If you should happen to miss a dose in the first week of restarting a pack then you would need to use back up till you have taken the medication for at least 7 days back to back
If you miss a day during your 2nd or 3rd week, then some recommend skipping the hormone free period (time of no medication)

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions