Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Abscess between scrotum and thigh, lanced, drained earlier. Not healing now. How to permanently cure it ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
I have an abcess between my scrotum and thigh that was lanced and drained a few times over the last year but this time it will not fully heal. How can I get the small hole to stop emitting small amounts of blood and heal up properly?

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

The abscess you describe is likely to have developed into a sinus or a fistula. Its often a complication in chronic abscesses.

You need to get confirmed that it is not acutely infected by its swab culture test.
Many doctors do prefer to get a small biopsy of the wound to be seen under microscope to look for any reason of non healing wound like say chronic granulomatous disease. Though TB is commonest cause of such non healing wounds in developing countries, diabetes is often a reason for slow healing at your age.

I suggest you to get to a general surgeon and get it confirmed as sinus or fistula, then the surgery called fistulectomy or sinusectomy can be planned to remove the problem from its roots.

So what you may need now is:
1. swab test for culture
2. sugar check for diabetes
3. surgeon consultation to confirm when infection settles.

I hope this answers your query. please get back if any doubts further.

thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor