Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed multiple small stones in the gallbladder. Should I go for surgery?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5600 Questions
A 14 year male child had abdominal pain and on ultra sound it is revealed that multiple 3-5 mm sized intraluminal calculi are there.Wall thickness is normal. No mass is seen CBD is normal in caliber with clear lumen. Left Kidney measures 95 X 42 mm and reveals a small simple cortical cyst at mid pole. Both kidneys are normal in size. Ultra sound report is uploaded. Can you suggest that if these stones in gall bladder can be removed without surgery? If yes then which kind of specialist shall we contact to. And what does cortical cyst in Left kidney mean.
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Ultrasound report suggests multiple small stones in the gall bladder. The best method to treat this is with surgery, where the gall bladder can be removed. This can be done with a minor surgery called as laparoscopy also. You should consult a gastroenterologist for this problem.

However, if he has no symptoms such as abdominal pain, etc, then surgery may be postponed or avoided. Medications such as urso deoxy cholic acid may be beneficial in such cases.

Cortical cyst in the kidney is an incidental finding and does not require any treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor