Abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed multiple small stones in the gallbladder. Should I go for surgery?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: A 14 year male child had abdominal pain and on ultra sound it is revealed that multiple 3-5 mm sized intraluminal calculi are there.Wall thickness is normal. No mass is seen CBD is normal in caliber with clear lumen. Left Kidney measures 95 X 42 mm and reveals a small simple cortical cyst at mid pole. Both kidneys are normal in size. Ultra sound report is uploaded. Can you suggest that if these stones in gall bladder can be removed without surgery? If yes then which kind of specialist shall we contact to. And what does cortical cyst in Left kidney mean.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Ultrasound report suggests multiple small stones in the gall bladder. The best method to treat this is with surgery, where the gall bladder can be removed. This can be done with a minor surgery called as laparoscopy also. You should consult a gastroenterologist for this problem.

However, if he has no symptoms such as abdominal pain, etc, then surgery may be postponed or avoided. Medications such as urso deoxy cholic acid may be beneficial in such cases.

Cortical cyst in the kidney is an incidental finding and does not require any treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM