Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

75 years of age, difficulty to have intercourse, penetration is painful. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
Trying to hve intercourse, I can get two fingers into the vagina, but the penis has difficulty entering, and then there is some bleeding, the hymen has been broken, I can put fingers into up to three inches, but penetration is painful, and I do then to be frightend by this, how come young kids, everyone can do this, but I ahve this obstacle or fear?
e-mail: YYYY@YYYY

Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Patience, dilators and estrogen...

Detailed Answer:
At age 75, you have virtually no estrogen in your system. This is normal. One of the problems is that you then develop "atrophy" of the vagina and narrowing like you describe. This can be addressed, but best done with an OB/GYN:

1. You will definitely need dilators that can be used (over the course of months) to slowly increase the caliber of the vagina
2. You need vaginal estrogen - this will make the vaginal 'skin' more healthy and easier to dilate without the bleeding
3. With the dilators and ANY attempts at intercourse, you need lubrication - you can try a product called ASTROGLIDE. This will help.

This is something that you can overcome, and I am impressed by your courage to address this. Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 75 years of age, difficulty to have intercourse, penetration is painful. Suggest? 34 minutes later
do I need to see an ob/gen or can I buy over the counter meds to help with this?
thank you for being impressed by me asking, this is so embarrassing, everyone is normal except me? I would prefer to do this with your recommendation on my own,
I keep asking why me>
Many thanks, you appear to be a very gentle kind doctor,
Sincerely XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can buy over the counter...

Detailed Answer:
Here is one link to what I am talking about:


Your doctor can also write you a prescription for these and they would likely be covered by your insurance. I would imagine that they would come with instructions, but in general it involves SLOWLY over the course of weeks dilation and stretching of the vaginal opening. Combining these with a lubricant such as Astroglide, as well as the daily use of a longer-acting lubricant (called Replens) is the way to go.

The 'best care' would be to do this in conjuction with the care of an OB/GYN, but a motivated patient could do this on their own I imagine.

This is a normal problem, do not be embarassed. It is also normal for women to be sexually active at your age, but the limiting factor is often vaginal atrophy and associated pain with intercourse itself. You should be able to get to the point where things are more 'normal', but this might take a few months.

I hope that this helps!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 75 years of age, difficulty to have intercourse, penetration is painful. Suggest? 7 hours later
I appreciate your help and response! I will think about your advice and will follow some course of action. I will be patient in my treatment, and hopefully it will help.
If other questions come to mind will contact, but I do sincerely thank you for your advice and assistance. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are very welcome!

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX

You are going to do great. If you have future questions, please just start off with "This is for Dr. Raichle" and I will be happy to help.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor