5 months pregnant and breast feeding. Can i continue?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi Dr,

I have a 10 months baby boy and have been breast feeding him till now. Now I am 5 months pregnant and has been informed by my doctor and my baby" s doctor to STOP BREAST FEEDING.

1) My concern is that is it important to stop breast feeding my baby
2) is breast feeding unhealthy for my baby
3) I am feeding dairy products such as curd and milkshake of cows milk.
4) As doctors told me to stop breast feeding, should I feed my baby thru COW MILK OR LACTOGEN 2

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 49 minutes later
Answer1&2 Some women do breastfeed throughout a pregnancy, and there is no evidence that this is harmful to the foetus.
In theory the hormone oxytocin, which is stimulated by breastfeeding, might stimulate uterine contractions, possibly causing miscarriage or preterm labour.
But most experts say that the uterus is not receptive to stimulation by oxytocin until 24-weeks, and the oxytocin present is not considered to be enough to cause problems. Hence now that you have completed five months of pregnancy your doctor has advised to stop breastfeeding to prevent any risk of preterm uterine contractions causing labour.
If you have a history of miscarriage or unusual uterine contractions while feeding it might be wise to stop. Theoretically you can continue ( with some probable risk of preterm labour) but then again you will have to stop breastfeeding once the newborn arrives because it's not advisable to breastfeed both babies .
Please remember that breast milk is the best for any baby and we advise exclusive breastfeeding for first six months and thereafter continuing till even 2 years of age.
However in your case continuing feeding the first child may not be suitable for the health of the second child so you need to make a choice . There are many women who have successfully continued breastfeeding during second pregnancy and thereafter . So you have to discuss it with your doctor and make a firm decision .

Answer 3& 4 . Apart from breast milk lactogen is preferred for infants less than 1 yr of age but if cows milk has been already introduced in the diet and the child has tolerated it well ( no allergy no stomach upset etc) then you can give cows milk to your child .Apart from milk and dairy products introduce one serving of fruit and one serving of cereals and vegetables each daily in the diet of your child .

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I am really confused within the LACTOGEN 2 and COW's MILK. My son's doctor told me that LACTOGEN 2 is more healthy for my baby's growth then cow's milk. Please suggest on this.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes ideally formula milk ( lactogen , Nan etc) are most nutritionally resembling to breast milk and the best alternative to breastfeeding in infants less than one year old .
Its more easily digested than cows milk . Cows milk also carries the risk of causing cows milk allergy or intolerance to infants less than a yr old .
Hence always advised to start cows milk after 1 yr of age.
However if a ten month child already is consuming cows milk and has tolerated it well then he might continue consuming it with no additional risk and will not be needed to stop for few months and then restart after 1 yr.
So according to your convenience you can start either lactogen 2 now and switch to cows milk when he is older or continue cows milk if you have already started it.
Hope that answers your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing your child good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 15 minutes later
Thank You Dr. Appreciate. Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the appreciation .
It's my pleasure to answer any of your health related query in future too.
Kindly press the accept button to close the query.