49 years old. Started getting irregular period. Peri menopausal symptoms?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I am 49 years old & had a baby a year ago. I am now experiencing a late period in Sept (44 day cycle) & October normal cycle. On November 25 I got my period but it has not stopped since. I am not pregnant & wondering can it be peri menopausal symptoms? I tried a strong birth control pill for 14 day but to no avail. Can it be anything serious? Please help - I have an apptmnt for gyn next month. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later

Yes, there is possibility that these could be perimenopausal symptoms.
With increasing age fluctuation in the levels of hormones can occur leading to irregularity in cycle length, menstrual flow etc.
This may not be a serious problem, but better to rule out other causes of menstrual irregularity like thyroid hormonal imbalance, poly cystic ovary disease, fibroids etc.
So if your bleeding is gradually reducing, possibly it will stop soon. If the bleeding is not reducing or increasing in quantity better to consult gynecologist early.
After consulting her go for physical examination, ultrasound and if needed hormonal evaluation to find out the possible cause for your problem and take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.