Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

49 years old. Started getting irregular period. Peri menopausal symptoms?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
I am 49 years old & had a baby a year ago. I am now experiencing a late period in Sept (44 day cycle) & October normal cycle. On November 25 I got my period but it has not stopped since. I am not pregnant & wondering can it be peri menopausal symptoms? I tried a strong birth control pill for 14 day but to no avail. Can it be anything serious? Please help - I have an apptmnt for gyn next month. Thank you
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

Yes, there is possibility that these could be perimenopausal symptoms.
With increasing age fluctuation in the levels of hormones can occur leading to irregularity in cycle length, menstrual flow etc.
This may not be a serious problem, but better to rule out other causes of menstrual irregularity like thyroid hormonal imbalance, poly cystic ovary disease, fibroids etc.
So if your bleeding is gradually reducing, possibly it will stop soon. If the bleeding is not reducing or increasing in quantity better to consult gynecologist early.
After consulting her go for physical examination, ultrasound and if needed hormonal evaluation to find out the possible cause for your problem and take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor