Is it possible to conceive when diagnosed with PCOD and high TSH levels?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor ! I'm a 26 year old female trying to conceive for the past 8 months. After all the attempts failed, I went in for a check up and TVS scan. I found out that I have PCOS and my tsh is scaring 9.83. T4 and other levels are normal. So will it be difficult for me to get pregnant? Please advise. Am worried. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, treatable causes of infertility

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
PCOS and hypothyroidism are the common cause of anovulation and hence the common causes of infertility.
These are, however, most treatable causes of infertility and can be easily treated by medications.
You need to take appropriate medications like metformin, myoinositol for PCOS and thyroid hormone ( thyronorm) for treatment.
Once the treatment is effective, the person starts to ovulate and there are fair chances of pregnancy.
So, don't worry and start the treatment at the earliest.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 2 hours later
Thank You Doctor. Am going to meet endocrinologist tomorrow and start the treatment. By the way, is my tsh level very dangerous now?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Only slightly raised

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
No, your TSH levels are only slightly raised.
It can easily be normalized by thyroid hormone supplementation.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 15 hours later
Thanks again doctor. My endocrinologist suggested Eltroxin 75 mcg every day. Now I wonder how long will it take to bring my tsh to normal once I start taking it? He asked me to take it for a month. I also have mild swelling near throat.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, it will normalize your TSH

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes,this dose of eltroxin is likely to bring your TSH to normal limits in 4-6 weeks.
You need to repeat the TSH levels after 4 weeks to see if dose needs to be adjusted.
Mild swelling near throat can be a lymph node or an enlarged thyroid gland.
You should get it examined by your endocrinologist for the same.
I am happy to have helped you.
You can get back to me anytime by asking a direct question to me on this portal.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana