3 year old having frequent diarrhea after taking antibiotics for ear infection. On BRAT diet and fluids

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Question: Mty 3 year old son has been having bouts with diarrhea for the past week. It's gone from diarrhea to yellowish stringy poop and this morning it was XXXXXXX He's been going about 5-6 times a day. We've been feeding him the BRAT diet and plenty of fluids. One of the initials causes we think and the pediatrician thinks that set this off was the Cefzil antiobiotic he took for an ear infection. We keep hearing that it needs to run its course, but have not seen any improvement other than the frequency of bowel movements
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 23 minutes later
Dear friend,

Most antibiotics of the penicillin group have a high incidence of side effects like skin rashes, vomiting and passing of loose bowels. These symptoms usually resolve once the offending medicine is discontinued. If you think that the Cefzil. Is not helping his cough it would be reasonable to request his doctor to stop this medicine and/or to start another one that does not cause this annoying side-effect.
However , the more.prudent thing to do would be to.ask the doctor to.requisition a lab examination of the stool of your 3-year old ao that a more precise treatment can be planned. I qm not too sure what a BRAT diet is, bury it is most unlikely that his diet has caused the acute problem.
Hope this helps. Should you need more help, please do not hesitate to contact me agai
Dr. Taher