Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

14 year old having lump in earlobe. Foul smelly puss comes out when pressed. Should I see a doctor?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10343 Questions
MY 14 year old son, has had a lump in his earlobe for over a year, it doesn't usually bother him, but today it was very swollen and hot. i pushed on it, and foul smelling pus can out of it. Is it just acne? or should I see a doctor? if so, a dermotologist? or Ent? He otherwise feels fine.

Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description, it seems to be an infected sebaceous cyst.
It develops due to blockage of the sebaceous gland. If the cyst is small and less than ½ inch, you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily for relief.
As the surrounding area has an infection, you will need to get antibiotics prescribed by a Physician. A surgical removal of the cyst might be needed to avoid the recurrence. You can consult a surgeon for the same.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 14 year old having lump in earlobe. Foul smelly puss comes out when pressed. Should I see a doctor? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. I agree with you. Your answer confirms my research on the internet. We are currently living in Dubai, and can go to pharmacist for medication. Can you suggest an antibiotic for this that will clear up the infection. I believe I can just go into the pharmacy and ask for the specific medication for him. He is 14, and weighs 220lbs. He had some kidney issues (HSP) which are resolved now, but I always ask for medication that is most easy on his kidneys. Can you suggest?
Thanks so much
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The antibiotic needed for controlling infection is not likely to be available without a prescription. For the minor infection he has got, cefixime taken in a dosage of 200 mg twice a day for 5 days should be sufficient to control the infection. To avoid recurrence, surgical excision is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor